The Purple Heart has a noble heritage. It is the oldest award still given to combat-wounded veterans of the U.S. military. Established by George Washington in 1782 and originally called the Merit Badge, the Purple Heart has been awarded nearly two million times to recognize the sacrifice and commitment of combat-wounded veterans.
The Military Order of the Purple Heart is a congressionally-chartered veterans’ organization whose members have been awarded the Purple Heart medal. The Order provides opportunities for engagement, camaraderie and support among Purple Heart recipients, but its mission is far larger than that, encompassing programs that aid all veterans.
Congressionally chartered in 1957, the Military Order of the Purple Heart Service Foundation is a Veteran Service Organization that raises funds to support our nation’s veterans and their families through grants and outreach programs as well as by making smaller direct contributions to veterans facing exceptionally difficult financial challenges.
WHAT WE DO
In combat, warriors count on their comrades to have their backs. Yet when they return home, when they face new and daunting challenges – emotional, medical, financial and more – who is there for them? Who has their back then? The answer is we do, providing counsel, a wide range of support, and unwavering advocacy. And a good measure of love.
OUR EFFORTS SUPPORT:
- Programs that help all veterans recover and prosper.
- Research and assistance that tackle the unseen wounds impacting veterans, including but not limited to Post Traumatic Stress (PTS), Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), suicide prevention awareness, and military sexual trauma.
- Programs that exists to inform veterans about education opportunities, scholarships, disability compensation, employment training, hospitalization / rehabilitation benefits, pensions, and other assistance.
- Programs and services that provide financial, occupational and health education to military veterans and their families.
- National Service Officer programs that provide full-time attorneys dedicated to protecting the interests of wounded servicemen and women and presenting veterans’ claims before court.
- Legislative advocacy for policies impacting veterans.